TIPS FOR TAMING WILD ROCK GOLF CLUB
If you enjoy golfing, we’re hoping that playing our amazing Wild Rock Golf Club is on your “must do list” for this summer or fall! In anticipation of this, we had Pat Stein, our new Director of Golf Operations, and his professional staff put together some golfing tips on how to make the most of your time on the course at Wild Rock. This way, you can not only play the course but also bring home a great score to brag about with your friends!
Here’s what they had to say:
- The most important tip for playing Wild Rock begins before you even start your round. Make sure your group picks the correct tee box to play from. Wild Rock can range in yardages from 5,132 yards to 7,414 yards because it has five sets of tee boxes to choose from. Depending on your skill level, your round of golf will be much more enjoyable when you play from the tees that fit your game.
- Take advantage of the GPS systems in all of Wild Rock’s golf carts to save you at least a couple of shots. The GPS systems, which are really user friendly, provide the distance to holes, hazards and lay up areas. They also provide tips on playing each hole.
- Keep in mind that the elevation changes at Wild Rock will affect your club selection. Holes that play downhill will typical play about a ½ club shorter and holes playing up hill in most case will play at least a ½ club longer, if not a full club. This is particularly important to remember as you reach the seventh hole. It plays a lot longer than the 397 yards the scorecard shows.
- We’re sure you have heard the saying, “Drive for show, putt for dough”. That truly fits Wild Rock. The fairways are large and for the most part are easy to find with a tee shot. On the other hand, the large undulating greens can lead to many three putts if your approach or pitch shots are just a little off. It’s always a good idea to spend some time before the start of your round hitting a few balls at the practice range but make sure that you stop by the putting green to get an idea for the speed of the greens and making sure your short game is ready to go.
- Finally, when golfing at Wild Rock, make sure to enjoy your day. Take some time to soak in the amazing views that the golf course has to offer. It is a truly beautiful golf course and even though our pro team plays it regularly, we still take pictures when we are out on the course. On a good day, you will see a few deer run across the fairway or a few turkeys hanging out by the woods. It’s a great way to spend a few hours.