Tax Exempt Information & Requirements

The state of Wisconsin requires that we strictly adhere to specific guidelines when honoring tax exempt status requests. Depending on the type of tax exempt organization being represented, these guidelines may vary. Please review the information below to determine:

1. What specific documentation is required to be on file with the Wilderness Resort in order to grant tax exempt status for your organization, and

2. Based on your reservation type, the department to which that documentation should be directed in correspondence.

The following may be considered tax exempt so long as the required, properly completed documentation is provided:

1. Wisconsin governmental agencies (state, county, city, etc. government or their agencies, public schools),

2. Federal governmental agencies

3. Federally recognized American Indian tribes or bands in Wisconsin, and

4. Non-profit organizations organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, or educational purposes, or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals. (Wisconsin or out-of-state).

Note: Governmental agencies (counties, cities, villages, school districts, etc.) of states other than Wisconsin are subject to Wisconsin tax.

In order for tax exempt status to be granted, a Certificate of Exempt Status (CES) containing the CES number, a properly completed Wisconsin Department of Revenue form S-211, or a purchase order identifying the tax exempt organization and containing the CES number (only valid for organizations falling into categories 1-3 above) must be provided.

As of February, 2021, All Nonprofit organizations with a 501(c)(3) can be tax exempt in Wisconsin.  We can accept a fully completed Form S-211 as long as you indicate that you meet the requirements of section 501(c)(3) on that form. Please see the S-211 link directly below and make sure to mark the box on the second page that details 501(c)(3).

The S-211 form may be completed by either an individual or a representative of the organization and is available from the Department of Revenue’s website:

Note: Out-of-state non-profit organizations (organized and operated for the purposes listed above) must have a completed S-211; however, as no Wisconsin CES number is available, that field on the S-211 may be left blank.

In the event you are traveling on business on behalf of an organization recognized as holding tax exempt status, payment must be made by the exact organization listed on the Certificate of Exempt Status (CES). Or, if you are paying but later being reimbursed, you are required to present a letter to that effect provided by the exact organization listed on the CES. (An example of this letter can be found below). Before submission, please make sure it is properly completed and printed on letterhead or otherwise identifiable as having come from the organization.

Finally, documentation for exempt status may be submitted via mail or fax, or it may be presented to Guest Services upon arrival. Please note that tax exempt status will not be granted until all required documentation has been received.

Submissions may be directed accordingly to the addresses below or faxed to the numbers listed:

Guests with reservations belonging to a group block should submit all documentation and direct any questions to the attention of Group Sales.

Glacier Canyon Lodge
P.O. Box 299
Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (608) 254-1079

Guest with non-group reservations should submit all documentation and direct any questions to the attention of Guest Services.

Wilderness Resort
P.O. Box 830
Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (608) 254-1050

We appreciate your cooperation and understanding. Should you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at 800.867.9453.

Example: Simple Reimbursment Letter 

Below is an example of how your reimburstment letter should be drafted. Please make sure this letter is printed on your company or organization letterhead/stationery.


 [ Letterhead ]


[ Date ]

Dear Wilderness Resort,

Reservation number [ ###### ] under [ Guest Name ] will be paid for by [ Organization Name ] in the form of reimbursement paid to [ Guest Name ].

Sincerely, [ Name of authorized agent of tax exempt organization ] 

Additional anwsers to FAQ questions regarding Wisconsin DOR and Nonprofit Organizations and Government Units – Certificate of Exempt Status can be found HERE.